Civil and Water Engineering (MSc)
1 year (full-time) / 3 years (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)
Offers knowledge and expertise for a career as a consulting water engineer within this specialist professional area of civil engineering.
- The course lecturers have considerable experience of working on a wide range of practical environmental hydraulics project and their models have been mounted by over 35 companies for over 80 world-wide EIA projects and by over 45 universities in 17 countries.
- The MSc in Civil and Water Engineering is accredited by the ICE, IStructE, IHT and IHIE, as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer under the provisions of UK-SPEC for intakes 2014-2018 inclusive, for candidates that have already acquired a CEng accredited BEng (Hons) undergraduate first degree or an IEng accredited BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree.
- See the JBM website for further information.
This course aims to complement a relevant undergraduate degree by introducing students to hydroinformatics, computational hydraulics and environmental hydraulics, including water quality indicators and sediment transport processes in coastal, estuarine and inland waters. The taught aspect of the course is delivered in the Autumn and Spring semesters, followed by an individual research project.
Topics covered on the course include:
- Physical Hydrology
- Environmental Fluid Mechanics
- Sediment Transport Dynamics
- Advanced Engineering Management
- Numerical Techniques in Water Engineering
- Geoenvironmental and Hydroenvironmental Modelling
- Water Quality and Treatment Engineering
- Management in Industry
- Coastal and Estuarine Engineering
- Flood Design
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Engineering Applications
An upper 2nd class UK Honours degree (or equivalent) from a British or recognised overseas university. Suitable for graduates in Civil or Environmental Engineering, or a related discipline or for non-graduate candidates with suitable professional experience.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to pass IELTS exams, obtaining a minimum IELTS score of 6.5. Please see our English language requirements for more information.
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
Tuition Fees 2016/17
Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.
|UK & EU||International|
|Deposit||n/a||Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.|
Next intake: September each year
Name: Postgraduate Admissions Office, School of Engineering
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 0050