Professional Conservation (MSc)
1 year (Full-time) / 2 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)
Cardiff's Professional Conservation MSc provides opportunities for qualified conservators and scientists to develop their primary training in professional conservation practice and to enhance their research skills. The MSc Professional Conservation is designed primarily for trained conservators, but also provides science graduates with the opportunity to utilise their training and to develop their specific research skills within conservation science.
- Links conservation theory and practice in the workplace and research-based conservation.
- Allows students to choose various areas of specialisation.
- Offers a high content of transferable skills in research, project-design and report writing.
The MSc provides research skills, transferable skills and specialist knowledge. The course is modular and has a common study structure with the MSc in Care of Collections and MA in Archaeology - all students undertake a taught element followed by a dissertation.
Students take a total of 180 credits of modules, consisting of:
- 80 credits of core skill modules
- 40 credits of optional modules selected by the student
- 60 credits dissertation (topic or theme chosen by the student in consultation with academic staff)
Please see the Archaeology and Conservation website for more course and module information.
- Analysis in Heritage Science (20 credits)
- Scientific Approach (20 credits)
- Skills and Methods for Postgraduate Study (20 credits)
- Postgraduate Skills in Archaeology & Conservation (20 credits)
- Assessment and Design for Collections Care (40 credits)
- Method in Conservation (40 credits)
- Museums Objects Environment (40 credits)
Students will acquire a broad range of transferable skills including the ability to:
- identify professional standards and provide work output that meets these standards
- recognise quality and set standards
- communicate effectively
- structure workloads and time manage
- project enthusiasm, self confidence and professionalism
- maintain dialogue with other professionals and the public
Graduates have found roles as conservation scientists, lecturers, researchers, conservators or gone on to higher levels of study.
'MSc Professional Conservation...directly helped me to get my current job'
Jihyun Kwon, alumnus
Read Jihyun's full testimonial
'MSc Professional Conservation enabled me to broaden my knowledge and understanding on various roles of conservators, which directly helped me to get my current job. Factors that I would particularly recommend about the course are the supportive teaching staff and the Lab facilities.
'MSc Professional Conservation is a unique conservation course, which cannot be found at any other universities. This is an especially perfect course for who already have a conservation background, as one can be more prepared for the real workplace.'
1st or upper 2nd class UK Honours degree in an appropriate subject. Suitable for graduates in conservation, conservation professionals and science graduates.
International students can find equivalent entry requirements via our website.
Students whose first language is not English will be required to pass an IELTS test (minimum 6.5) or equivalent.
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
How to Apply
Applications can be made for this course via our Online Application Service selecting the MSc Professional Convervation option from the list of courses.
Applicants should use the Personal Statement section of the form to outline their area of interest and, if possible, the topic that they hope to research for their dissertation.
For more information on funding available for Masters students in the School of History, Archaeology and Religion please see the school's funding website.
UK & EU Full Time (Please note: our fees are currently being updated to reflect 2015/16 fees. For the most up-to-date fees information, please refer to our Finance pages)
UK & EU Part Time (Please note: our fees are currently being updated to reflect 2015/16 fees. For the most up-to-date fees information, please refer to our Finance pages)
International Full Time (Please note: our fees are currently being updated to reflect 2015/16 fees. For the most up-to-date fees information, please refer to our Finance pages)
International Part Time (Please note: our fees are currently being updated to reflect 2015/16 fees. For the most up-to-date fees information, please refer to our Finance pages)
Next intake: September each year
Name: Ms Jane Henderson
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 5629